I am a sucker for cornbread. When I need a crowd-pleasing side to serve with almost any meal, corn bread always comes to mind. This one, from The Foothills Cuisine of Blackberry Farm, is made in a cast-iron skillet and bakes for just about twenty minutes, so it’s ready in a flash. We ate ours for breakfast the next morning, with just a few dabs of butter. Perfection. Please see our Blackberry Farm SUPER-SIZED HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY at the end of this post.
Skillet Corn Bread
Recipe from The Foothills Cuisine of Blackberry Farm
3 tablespoons bacon fat, or 1 1/2 tablespoons each unsalted butter and vegetable oil
2 cups (11 ounces) stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. If using bacon fat, place it in a well-seasoned 9-inch cast-iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven as it preheats. If using butter and oil, wait until step 3 to heat the skillet.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
3. If using butter and oil, heat them in the skillet over high heat until the oil is shimmering.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir just until blended and smooth. Be prepared to immediately transfer the batter into a hot skillet.
5. Remove the hot skillet from the oven or from the stovetop. Carefully scrape the batter into the skillet. The batter should sizzle vigorously around the edges.
6. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the corn bread is firm and golden brown on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
SUPER-SIZED HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY:
We’re giving one lucky winner (and we mean LUCKY!) a copy of The Foothills Cuisine of Blackberry Farm and a box of goodies (pictured below) from Blackberry Farm, including Bread and Butter Pickles, Blackberry Jam, Pickled Okra and more! Just leave a comment below about why you need to have this cookbook and you’ll automatically be entered to win. Winner will be chosen on January 1st, 2013.